Sunday, September 25, 2022

The Moment of Truth

Yesterday was a funeral service for a young man, 36, who died earlier this month. I never met him but have known his parents for years. They were reticent about revealing the exact circumstances of his death, and I respect their privacy enough not to inquire directly from them or mutual friends.

The grief was palpable from the three rows of friends and relatives. His father struggled when he gave the eulogy; I told him later how much I admire him.

I thought of Queen Elizabeth and the crowds who attended her state funeral and the millions around the world who watched it on television. I thought how our young man had maybe 40 people attending his service. Like the Queen, he on a much smaller scale had good people who loved him, mourned his passing, and will remember him the rest of their lives.

One key decision when planning an Episcopal/Anglican funeral service is whether to have Holy Communion. The distribution of the Bread and Wine does take time, and the Royal Family was wise to omit Communion with attendance at Westminster Abbey numbering in the thousands. (It's also possible that the ceremony was included at one of the private services.)

On Saturday morning we did have Communion in accordance with Jesus' instruction, included in multiple Gospels, to "do this in remembrance of me."

At all Anglican services the 23rd Psalm is read, as well as the following passage from John 14:
‘Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house there are many dwelling-places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way to the place where I am going.’ Thomas said to him, ‘Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?’ Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Whether Queen or commoner, everyone walks through the Valley of Death and at the moment of Truth hopes that there is a mansion waiting on the other side.

No comments: