Friday, September 30, 2022

Injection No. 4: A Minor Inconvenience

Getting the second booster shot (coronavirus injection #4) was no trouble at all. I made an appointment for yesterday morning at Sutter Health's $200 million facility in San Carlos, five miles from Foster City.

Parking was free at the uncrowded 8-year-old multistory garage.

There was no waiting at the separate structure (picture) next to the main building. Flu and COVID shots were allotted four stations each, and at the moment I was the only customer.

After the injection, there was no requirement to wait. From parking the car to getting back on the freeway the whole process took 15 minutes, an infinitesimal imposition compared to spending an entire afternoon at the Moscone Center 18 months ago.

I'm not particularly worried about dying from the coronavirus, but if I didn't spend less than an hour reducing the risks of long-haul COVID to myself and giving the virus to the vulnerable 70-to-100 crowd, whom I mingle with frequently, then for me the benefits so far outweighed the costs that I would be a dunderhead not to get the booster.

Another cost, however, that shouldn't be overlooked: 24 hours later my arm hurts, and I feel like the flu is coming on. Nevertheless, this reaction is milder than those experienced with earlier shots, and the minor inconveniences will soon be forgotten.

No comments: