Wednesday, January 24, 2024

It's a Wonderful Country

John Sowell, at the chain's grand opening in Idaho
We went to the San Carlos In-N-Out tonight, like we do once a month, and ordered the double-double animal style (double cheeseburger with grilled onions). I thought I knew the In-N-Out "secret menu" lingo, but I'm a neophyte compared to John Sowell:
“I ordered what I call a 2-by-1, known by In-N-Out as a double-single, two beef patties but only one piece of cheese versus the two on the double-double,” he recalls.

“Animal-style, with mustard slathered patties on the grill, extra of their thousand island spread and pickles. I also asked for cold cheese, so it wasn’t melted on the grill, a whole slice of grilled onion and whole slice of raw onion. And cut in half. Also fries cooked light well which keeps them in the oil about 40 seconds extra. The regular fries, to me, aren’t cooked enough.”
John Sowell is a fast-food superfan, which is a sub-genre of superfandom, who camps out overnight to be the first in line at the opening of an In-N-Out, Chick-fil-A, Shake Shack, etc.

Wait of the future
Your humble blogger isn't a snooty gourmand, but I wouldn't wait a couple of hours, much less overnight, for a burger.

However, McDonald's new space-themed restaurant, CosMc's, sounds interesting...

No comments: