Monday, July 13, 2020

Health Check-up

(GIF from rebloggy)
I was prepared to make excuses. The doctor wanted me to lose five pounds, and I was doing so well until the lockdown.

For the past four months I sat at home, watching TV, web-surfing, and snacking. I walked 3-4 miles every day until my knee started hurting, so I stopped. The gym is shut down, and my ancestors gave me the gene for arthritis.

It's not my fault.
The doctor read aloud the blood test results. Triglycerides and blood sugar had improved, but LDL ("bad") cholesterol was higher. He raised the atorvastatin dosage to 20 mg per day. The painful knee was probably the beginning of arthritis, so he ordered an X-ray to make sure.

For the first time in years I didn't have to go on a diet, and I haven't yet crossed the line to diabetes. We scheduled an appointment for next July, another sign of optimism. All in all it was a good session.

No comments: