Monday, December 06, 2021

Unassuming Statue

Right outside the California Pacific Medical Center, where I received the Moderna booster, sits the unassuming life-sized statue of George D. Monardo (1921 ~ 2008).

Mr. Monardo was a World War II vet who began as a hospital administrator and rose through the ranks to become President of the Ralph K. Davies Medical Center. From his position he was able to lead funding for AIDS research and advanced technologies like microsurgery. He was active on the boards of charities and health organizations.

Why did I bother with a post on a man I've never heard of? Well, this was the first time I've gone to the CPMC on Castro, and I doubt I'll pass this way again.

More importantly, George D. Monardo represents the wonderful, accomplished people who die every year and who will be remembered by few outside of their families after some decades have passed. Well, they did make a statue to honor him, so perhaps he was a little more special than others, another of many "common men" who led uncommon lives.

No comments: