Saturday, December 05, 2015

Charity

A few of the donations we're considering
The year-end donations frenzy has started. Charitable solicitations arrive daily, and most go in the shredder.

What does one say to a friend who makes a personal entreaty? If I value the friendship and the organization is not objectionable (a really low standard), I'll give $25. The amount is modest, but the friend is probably grateful to get any positive response.

If he asks for repeated donations, Money advises how to say no:
“I’ve run through my budget for charitable donations this year, so unfortunately I can’t make this a priority right now.”

“I hope you understand where I’m coming from. For now I won’t be able to contribute any more to this cause, but thanks for thinking of me.”
While we're thinking about the needs of others, the vast majority of whom are strangers, don't forget to help those closest to home.

No comments: