Sunday, December 09, 2018

Attendance Was Down

One of the purposes of this trip was to see how my parents were acclimatizing to assisted living.

Most nights I stayed at their now-vacant home in the McCully Moiliili area of Honolulu and drove to their Hawaii Kai apartment every day.

I went to see them early Sunday morning but should have gone in the afternoon.



Using the Marathon as an excuse,
worshippers stayed home from this
Kaimuki church, leaving more food for me.
The Honolulu Marathon shunted the traffic to local roads, then detoured eastbound traffic to a single lane on the westbound side of Kalanianaole Highway. We crept along at 25-30 mph, confused about whether to obey the traffic signals, not all of which were visible in the direction we were going. Like the kids do on social media, I just did what everybody else was doing and barreled through some of the red lights.

About halfway to Hawaii Kai I saw the lead runner returning to downtown Honolulu.

After visiting my parents for an hour, I drove back home with gaggles of marathoners still headed east. No mockery here---if I ever tried to run a marathon they're faster than I would be.

No comments: