Saturday, December 15, 2018

Late-Night Curve

At 10 p.m. Tuesday the parking lot was filled and most
tables were taken on the second floor of McCully SC.
At one time there were many Oahu restaurants and bars open late on weeknights. But crime, homelessness, and the lack of street lighting made customers cautious about going out. Demand fell, and it became uneconomic for places to remain open after 9.

However, some locations are proving that prosperity was theirs if they could provide parking and security. One such restaurant cluster is McCully Shopping Center, less than two blocks from my parents' house.

Chow mein from Fook Yuen
There are at least a half-dozen McCully eateries open past midnight. On the nights I walked by there weren't many business people, who were probably in Waikiki less than a mile away, but family-and-friends groups looking for something more than fast food (there is a Taco Bell at McCully SC).

My doctor says I shouldn't eat after 9, but the fact that I hadn't had dinner prompted me to try the noodles at Fook Yuen at 10:30. It was in the name of research, and I just did it once.

Yes, it was very good, but to be honest I am grading on the late-night curve.

No comments: