Sunday, April 12, 2020

Easter, 2020

8 a.m. Easter morning, Foster City, California
An hour after dawn it was a good time to go for a walk.

There were few cars on the road and a couple of people walking their dogs.

I cross the street without pressing the button for the "Walk" signal. The signal stops traffic for 20 seconds, which is irritating to drivers when the pedestrians usually only need 10. I jogged across.

I used to subscribe to five (5) sports podcasts but gave them up a month ago because they had nothing new to say. When sports resume, I won't re-subscribe to any of them, a casualty of the great re-set.

Jordan Peterson's biblical series podcasts seemed appropriate for Easter Sunday, so I listened to his first, Introduction to the Idea of God. (The YouTube version is here.) I like to listen to Jordan Peterson because you never know where he's going, as opposed to partisan blogs which are like a bad movie in that you know the ending five minutes after they start.

About an hour into his talk Jordan Peterson mentioned a graphic representation of Biblical internal cross-references, which I later looked up and copied below, reserving judgment as to whether it's meaningful.



I tuned in to my church's streaming service at 10. With no Communion it only lasted 44 minutes.

By the way, I do understand why some congregations are so insistent about holding in-person services on Easter. It's the most important Feast on the Christian calendar and commemorates the Resurrection, an event more important than Christmas.

Moreover, a church filled with worshippers singing the traditional Easter hymns is not an experience that can be fully captured on YouTube, any more than a packed concert hall or football stadium.

On the bright side perhaps next year everyone will not take Easter worship, egg hunts, and parades (do they still have those?) for granted and make a special effort to attend celebrations.

No comments: