Thursday, April 23, 2020

It Would Have Been Glorious

And now, for something enjoyable...and a little poignant.

Singin' in the Rain is my favorite musical. If I come across the movie while channel surfing (something that old folks do on "cable TV"), I'll stop to watch though I've seen it dozens of times. Singin' in the Rain's song-and-dance routines are the most well-known in movies, with the choreography as memorable as the music.

It requires courage to stage a production of Singin'in the Rain, given the fame of the original and the difficulty in finding leads with the requisite talent. Nevertheless, it was all coming together for Punahou High, my alma mater, until COVID-19 cancelled the opening this month. Fortunately, the school pieced together recordings of some of the rehearsals (see below, music begins at 6:54).

It would have been glorious.

No comments: